Cross Country Exercise
Incident Leader: Drive the discussion and delegate tasks.
Person responsible for Communications: Provide briefing at the conclusion of the exercise (deliverables listed below).
Person responsible for Tactical Documentation: Capture details and key events of the discussion and deliverables and share details of the notes/timeline at the end of the briefing.
Plan a cross country trip from New York City to Austin, Texas. Starting point in New York is the Empire State Building. End point is Franklin BBQ restaurant at 900 E 11th Street in Austin.
4 riders: 1 rider is vegan, and 1 rider requires a gluten free diet. All other riders have no dietary restrictions.
Transportation: Class C RV with 1 full bathroom (shower, sink and toilet). Sleeps 4 with 2 beds, which are located in the rear of the RV and over the driver’s area. The riders are coupled so the sleeping arrangements are 2 persons per bed. The RV shown below represents the exterior view of your vehicle. It has a 50 gallon fuel tank and averages 10 miles per gallon with a gasoline powered engine. The vehicle is in excellent operating condition with no mechanical defects or issues. The vehicle is fully outfitted with a refrigerator (6 cubic feet of storage space inside), gas stove and microwave. There is a generator and full propane tank on board. Fresh water tank has a 50-gallon capacity, and you are allowed 1 fill up during the trip. You will need to empty the waste storage tank (from toilet, shower and sink) 1 time during the trip.
Sightseeing: You must choose 4 tourist attractions to stop at along your chosen route. The stops can be for museums, national parks, points of historical importance – the choice is yours!
- Detailed route of travel, including the rationale behind the choice of route.
- Estimated time for the trip including the required 4 stops at tourist attractions.
- Estimated number of fuel stops and projected fuel cost from New York to Austin.
- Note any tolls or fees that are required along the way. If a route is chosen to avoid tolls or fees, this should also be noted.
- Estimated food cost for 4 riders from New York to Austin (based on 3 meals per day per person). Be sure to note any restaurants along the way that accommodate riders with dietary restrictions.
- Estimated cost for tickets or other fees at the tourist attractions.
- Location and cost of using waste storage tank dump and water tank fill location.
- List and cost of RV campgrounds or RV parks for each night on the road.
- Estimated total cost for the trip and number of hours the trip will take.
Worksheet for use by person responsible for creating and delivering the communications briefing